The skin is our largest organ, and it takes a beating each and every day, subject to the effects of wind, heat, cold, and how we care for ourselves. There are many different factors that go into overall skin health, including diet, sleep, exercise, stress levels, pollution, and age. Many people also have complex skin disorders or sensitivities that can make the skin break out, change colors, and more. While there are many ways to help prevent damage to your skin and keep it looking young and beautiful, sometimes it’s just not possible without the help of an expert. For people struggling with skin problems, professional skincare products and treatments may be the best solution.
Professional skin care involves a personalized treatment plan that may combine several different products and skin rejuvenation techniques to help patients reach their individual goals. Everyone has a different skin type, concerns, and lifestyle, which all need to be considered when planning a skincare regime. Some of the cost-effective treatments available include:
- Facials: A type of maintenance and rejuvenation treatment that’s gentle and refreshing, facials are used to balance and keep skin in good condition. There are several types of facials available to accomplish a variety of goals, including exfoliating, hydrating, and rejuvenating the skin.
- Chemical Peels: A treatment designed to exfoliate and get rid of old skin by carefully applying special chemical solutions to the face. The old skin will peel off after a few days, revealing a bright, new layer of skin that looks rejuvenated and more youthful. Peels can either be light and superficial, involving no downtime, or more in-depth and effective. Peels can treat everything from dull skin to acne, wrinkles, fine lines, and hyperpigmentation.
- Rejuvapen (Collagen Induction Therapy): A non-surgical treatment used to improve fine lines and acne scars painlessly, Rejuvapen uses tiny needles to help encourage the skin to produce more collagen (the structural protein that keeps skin firm and youthful). These changes begin to take place right away and improve over time. Patients typically need a series of treatments to see optimal results.
- Injectable Fillers: Fillers are temporary anti-aging treatments that are used to fill in lines, wrinkles, and lost volume. Popular for their instant results and easy treatment process, fillers can produce beautiful, natural-looking results for 6 months to 2 years, depending on the filler used. There are many different brands and formulas available to suit almost any need. Fillers involve a short injection treatment and no downtime.
- Spa/Prescription Products: Often used alongside skin rejuvenation treatments, powerful skin care products are available, some by prescription only. These products can help improve the overall health and appearance of the skin on their own, or enhance the results of accompanying treatments. Products will be recommended depending on the patient’s concerns and skin type.
If you are fed up with your skin and ready to move on to professional skin treatments, your first step is a consultation with Dr. Alvarez in his Miami plastic surgery office. This meeting is necessary for determining the goals of treatment and considering different options that fit into your lifestyle.
During your consultation, you will first discuss your goals for treatment, including any concerns you have about your skin. Dr. Alvarez will ask questions and make recommendations for a treatment plan to suit your needs, making sure you are a candidate for all recommended procedures.
Once you have an idea about what your treatment plan would be, you will get a chance to ask questions and learn more about the procedures and products you’re considering. Your consultation is a great opportunity for Dr. Alvarez to get to know you and come up with a treatment plan.
Almost everyone who is frustrated with at-home skin care can be a good candidate for professional skin treatments and products. Good candidates will be in good health and have realistic expectations for the outcome of the treatment plan. Because skin care treatment plans are so individualized, it’s important for Dr. Alvarez to assess your overall candidacy for each treatment you’re considering.
Each skin care treatment involves a different process, but very few superficial procedures involve anesthesia or a painful treatment. Most skin treatments are done in an office setting, involve minimal discomfort, and take very little time to complete. Feel free to ask Dr. Alvarez for specific information on the treatment process for the procedures you’re considering.
Because most skin care treatments are not invasive procedures, there is little to no recovery time required following treatment. Some patients may experience mild redness and swelling, but most side effects pass quickly. If you notice any unusual changes in your skin from any treatment, it’s important to contact Dr. Alvarez immediately. For more in-depth procedures, Dr. Alvarez will give you detailed information about the recovery process.
Choosing the Right Surgeon
While skin care is a minimally invasive process, you still want to maximize the results you get from your treatment. This is why it is important to choose a skilled provider on the cutting edge of the skin care industry. You will find that Dr. Alvarez is one of the premier plastic surgeons in Miami. Schedule an initial consultation to find out all your treatment options and meet Dr. Alvarez in person.
Why are some skincare products only available by prescription?
Prescription-only products are much stronger than those that come from the drugstore. While this means they are more effective in accomplishing skin care goals, it also means they should be used under the supervision of a medical professional in case the dosage needs to be adjusted or other problems come up.
Will I have to get multiple treatments?
Typically. Skin care is a maintenance issue, and facials, fillers, and other treatments often need to be used in a series, or repeated once in a while to maintain results.
How will I know what type of treatment is right for me?
You will discuss the treatments and products with Dr. Alvarez that will help you reach your goals. There are sometimes different versions of each treatment available, so it is important to schedule an initial consultation with him when planning your skin care approach.
Are there any risks involved with professional skin care?
Risk is very minimal with non-invasive procedures, but some skin care treatments do carry very small risks. If you are concerned, be sure to bring this point up during your consultation to learn more about the treatments you are considering.
Can professional skin care make me look younger?
Skin care treatment plans are designed to help you look refreshed and rejuvenated—which often means looking more youthful as well. Treatments can absolutely help you look younger, but it is important to be realistic and understand that surgical procedures and in-depth treatments are more optimized for anti-aging.
Schedule your consultation with Dr. Alvarez today! Call 305-600-4146 or fill out the contact form in this page.